We are seeking a Director of Engineering to lead Beacon’s software engineering organisation through a phase of fast growth.
Beacon is a platform providing global supply chain payment, logistics, and optimisation services to businesses. Our technology brings transparency to our customers’ supply chains, making them more reliable, sustainable, and easier to manage. Our mission is to bring efficiency into the global import / export industry – a centuries-old backbone of the global economy.
Beacon brings together industry veterans and experts in data science, cloud computing, product design, supply chain and finance, coming from companies like Google, Amazon, Uber and Revolut. In 2-years, we have scaled our business quickly and are well-funded by some of the most experienced investors globally, including Eric Schmidt (Ex-CEO & Chairman of Google) and Jeff Bezos (CEO & Founder of Amazon).
We are continuing to invest heavily into our technology and are entering the next phase of our team’s growth. Join us as we make this industry leap forward – do more than you ever thought possible, and have more impact than you ever imagined.
What you’ll do:
- Partner with the VP of Engineering on technical strategy & organization design.
- Lead Beacon’s software engineering organization and provide technical leadership to a fast growing team.
- Lead the planning and delivery of Beacon’s software products in collaboration with leaders in product, operations, and technical support functions.
- Create and lead an engineering culture of operational excellence. Create a culture and systems which transparently surface problem areas and drive high quality, high availability, high scalability systems.
- Hire, manage, mentor and inspire a growing team of software engineers and technical leaders.
- Proactively identify bottlenecks in organization, process and resourcing. And create systems and processes that ensure technical work streams are properly planned and connected across teams.
- Have the freedom and encouragement to experiment, improve, invent, and innovate on behalf of our customers.
What you’ll need:
- Experience leading high-performing software engineering teams through high growth (e.g. from ~40 to 100+ employees.)
- Demonstrated experience creating software products, 5+ years in a technical leadership position.
- Experience managing and coaching multiple layers of technical leadership, from technical leads to heads of engineering.
- Experience building and improving systems and processes that accelerate planning and delivery of software products.
- Ability to champion operational excellence (OE), create an engineering culture of delivering high quality, high availability and scalable systems, and effectively use metrics and processes to continuously improve OE.
- Experience building and maintaining high-performing engineering teams, hiring and motivating top technical talent.
- Strong knowledge of service-oriented development, micro-service architecture principles, and continuous development / continuous integration best practices.
- Experience with service and web development on AWS, Azure, Google Cloud or other Cloud infrastructure providers.
- Excellent written and oral communication in English and ability to explain complex technical issues succinctly.
- Experience leading remote teams across multiple locations
Salary : Competitive